Episode 12: PTSD and Secondary Trauma: What to Notice with Dr. Trudy
Within this episode, Dr. Trudy Gilbert-Eliot explains what signs and symptoms to look for in your first responder/front line staff family member, and resources for PTSD and secondary trauma.
- Van Der Kolk, B. (2014). The body keeps the score: Brain, mind, and body in the healing of trauma. New York, NY: Penguin Books.
- Safe Call has a 24 hour hotline for first responders.
- The organization Code Green Campaign helps educate and destigmatize mental health issues that impact first responders.
- First Responders Bridge helps first responders and their caregivers get connected to help for trauma.
- The National Institute for Mental Health provides research and education for many mental health issues including PTSD.
- The National Alliance on Mental Illness has local chapters and a national organization to provide education and support for those dealing with mental health issues along with their family.
- The Vicarious Trauma Toolkit is available to anyone who wants to learn more about secondary trauma.