TIP 45: Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment
TIP 45: Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment is available from Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) educates substance use counselors and informs clinicians about detoxification and withdrawal. It addresses patient placement, detox services for specific substances, co-occurring disorders, financing issues, and screening and assessment tools (SAMHSA, 2015).
Additional Resources About Detoxification
Recently Published Research Articles About Detoxification (titles, brief descriptions of study results, and links to abstracts or full text are provided):
- Frequency of drug detoxification treatment completers and non-completers – High rate of failure to complete treatment.
- Substance Use Relapse Among Veterans at Termination of Treatment for Substance Use Disorders – Rates of relapse among military veterans.
- The role of age and opioid agonist treatment on substance use treatment completion in the United States – Opioid treatment (OTP) for older adults shows higher rates of treatment completion than for younger patients.
- Factors Associated with Substance Use Disorder Treatment Completion, Rhode Island, USA, 2018 – Participation in self-help groups linked to higher rates of treatment completion.
- Factors Associated With Leaving Against Medical Advice From Inpatient Substance Use Detoxification Treatment – Personal obligations cited as reason for patients leaving detoxification programs early against medical advice.
- Demographic and Clinical Correlates of Treatment Completion among Older Adults with Heroin and Prescription Opioid Use Disorders – Correlates of completion of detoxification programs among those using heroin or prescription opioids.