Learning How to Navigate Secondary Traumatic Stress in the Helping Professions
In this article, CASAT Learning presenter Fabricia Prado, LCSW, shares lessons from her lived-in experience and recovery from secondary traumatic stress including:
- Ask for help. Reach out anyway you can.
- Do not discount external and bureaucratic factors.
- Examine codependence and perfectionism.
- Learn about Trauma-Informed care and avoidance of re-traumatization.
- Engage in spiritual inquiry.
- Deepen your knowledge, get consultation and mentorship, and achieve optimal attachment.