The Virtual Substance Abuse Prevention Skills Training (SAPST) is an innovative distance-learning training that blends a pre-requisite, self-paced online course with a combination of live, interactive sessions conducted over video conferencing and individual homework assignments completed before and between the live sessions. Grounded in current research and SAMHSA’s Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF), the Virtual SAPST provides foundational knowledge and skills necessary to implement effective, data-driven prevention interventions that improve substance-related outcomes, reduce behavioral health disparities, and improve wellness.
The Virtual SAPST includes the following topic areas:
- Introduction to Substance Abuse Prevention: Understanding the Basics (self-paced, online)
- Basic terminology and facts
- History of substance use and prevention in the U.S.
- Addiction and the brain
- Effects and health risks of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
- Setting the Foundation: From Theory to Practice (live video-conference sessions and homework activities)
- Behavioral health
- Institute of Medicine’s/National Academy of Science, Engineering and Medicine’s Continuum of Care
- Public health approach
- Risk and protective factors
- Developmental perspective
- Application: SAMHSA’s SPF (live video-conference sessions and homework activities)
- Assessment, capacity, planning, implementation, and evaluation
- Cultural competence, sustainability
The SAPST is designed for:
- Entry-level (less than five years) prevention administrators and practitioners
- Members of community coalitions working to address substance misuse
- Professionals working in fields related to substance misuse prevention
- Training and technical assistance providers supporting those in the substance misuse prevention workforce and broader community
The Virtual SAPST will take place over four non-consecutive days:
November 9, 12, 16, and 19, 2021
- Live zoom sessions: 8:45 am – 3:00 pm each day
- Please schedule at least two hours to complete and submit the required homework assignments within approximately 24 hours after each session. Homework assignments 2, 3, and 4 will be due at 5:00 pm on November 10, 14, and 17.
We will take two 15-minute breaks and one 30-minute break each session
Presented by: Ben Stevenson II, MS, CPS & Rick Collins, MS, CPS
Certificates of Attendance: Participants completing the Virtual SAPST will receive two (2) certificates of completion totaling 31 hours of participation:
- 5 hours for completing the self-paced online course
- 26 for the live video conference sessions and completing homework activities
This training is approved for CEUs by the following professional organizations:
- National Association of Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)*
- International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC)
*CASAT has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6492. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. CASAT is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Nevada Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug, & Gambling Counselors
- Nevada State Board of Nursing
- Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists and Clinical Professional Counselors
- State of Nevada Board of Examiners for Social Workers
- Nevada Certificate Board – Prevention Specialists
Funding for this training was made possible, in part, by the Pacific Southwest Prevention Technology Transfer Center Network, HHS Region 9. To learn more about the Pacific Southwest PTTC, visit their website.