PTSD Awareness Month
June is National Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTDS) Awareness Month. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a mental health issue that some people develop after experiencing or witnessing a life-threatening event, like combat, a natural disaster, a car accident, or sexual assault.
Visit the National Center for PTSD for more information.
Additional PTSD Resources for Behavioral Health Providers
- American Psychological Association (APA) | The APA includes a list of professional organizations whose members specialize in trauma-specific treatments, along with fact sheets providers can share with clients.
- How to Manage Trauma | This handout from the National Council for Mental Wellbeing (formerly the National Council for Behavioral Health) provides an easy-to-ready overview of trauma, its symptoms, and helpful coping strategies.
- National Center for PTSD | The National Center for PTSD provides mobile apps, videos, printed materials and online tools to educate and assist veterans, the general public, and professionals about PTSD.
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network | The National Child Traumatic Stress Network is a unique network of of frontline providers, family members, researchers, and national partners committed to changing the course of children’s lives by improving their care and moving scientific gains quickly into practice across the U.S.
- National Institute of Mental Health | The NIMH offers free brochures and shareable resources, including how to help children and adolescents cope with disasters and other traumatic events.
- Service Members, Veterans, and their Families Technical Assistance (SMVF TA) Center | SAMHSA’s SMVF TA Center serves as a national resource to support states, territories, and local communities in strengthening their capacity to address the behavioral health needs of military and veteran families.
- MHTTC PTSD Resources
- NIMH Digital Shareables on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- CASAT OnDemand PTSD Learning Lab
- CASAT OnDemand Coping with Current Events in Ukraine: A Guide for Behavioral Health Providers Working with Veterans
- CASAT Conversations Podcast S1 E13: How to Support a Family Member with PTSD
- CASAT Conversations Podcast S1 E12: PTSD and Secondary Trauma: What to Notice with Dr. Trudy
- CASAT Conversations Podcast S1 E11: The Impact of the News and PTSD on the Family Unit
- CASAT Learning: Serving Veterans and Members of the Military: SELF-PACED ONLINE COURSE
- CASAT Learning: Trauma and First Responders: SELF-PACED ONLINE COURSE