Walk the Talk America (WTTA) & Zephyr Wellness present “At the Intersection of Guns and Mental Health: Advancing Cultural Competence (the introductory course)”
The Course tuition of $50 includes 3.0 CEUs and the range fee. The Continuing Education Credit is available for Social Workers, Psychologists, MFT’s and CPC’s.
The Course starts promptly at 12:30pm.
Allow travel time and please arrive a few minutes early at the Clark County Shooting Complex Education Center, Classroom “C”.
The Course Schedule is as follows:
- 12:30 pm : Intro – Mike Sodini explains WTTA (30 min)
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm: Basics of firearms and firearms culture (safety, mechanics, laws, customs, traditions, hobbies, beliefs, etc.)
- 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm: Firing the weapons, experiencing what was discussed in hour one. Groups split into two cohorts, one shooting for 45 minutes while the other discusses clinical application of knowledge gleaned, staffing of hypothetical cases, then the groups swap.
Firearms, Eye and Hearing Protection sponsored by HPP Training – Homeland Personal Protection.
- 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm: Debrief. Mike and Jake discuss red flag laws, the need for clinicians to understand gun culture, Rob and Mike discuss their anecdotes from the road related to why gun owners are afraid to seek help, and Q&A from attendees. Jake closes with the imperative from Pirelli’s book about practitioners needing to become competent in this culture.
At the end of this course, attendees will:
- improve their understanding of the stigma related to mental health care among gun owners;
- learn how to validate emotional experiences of gun owners;
- increase their empathy and understanding related to gun culture;
- improve their understanding of guns, broadly, including types, classes, and uses;
- gain new information on expected standards and need for clinical contributions to the field;
- understand “red flag laws” and clinician responsibility and ethical scope in Nevada.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or click the “Tickets” button above to register.