March 17, 2023 @ 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Dignity Health | Contact: Terry Maurer
Adult Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders. This training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care. Virtual First Aiders will complete a 2-hour, self-paced online course and then participate in a 6 hour, Instructor-led zoom class.
WHAT IT COVERS
- Common signs and symptoms of mental illness
- Common signs and symptoms of substance use
- How to interact with a person in crisis
- How to connect the person with help
- NEW: Expanded content on trauma, addiction and self-care
WHO SHOULD TAKE IT
- Police officers
- Hospital staff
- First responders
- Faith leaders
- Behavioral Health Providers
- Peer Support Specialists
- Community members
- Caring individuals
The course will teach you how to apply the ALGEE action plan:
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm.
- Listen non-judgmentally.
- Give reassurance and information.
- Encourage appropriate professional help.
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies.
Please note and pass the following information and attached fliers to any interested parties or organizations regarding our Nevada Mental Health First Aid – National Council for Behavioral Health class listing. The MHFA virtual classes are hosted by Dignity Health and are open to the general public as well as corporate and community organizations. Cost is $24.95 per participant. For further information, or to register for an upcoming class, email Terry Maurer at Terry.Maurer@DignityHealth.